Director of Construction
AeroFarms is dedicated to enabling local production at commercial scale in different markets throughout the world. Specifically, we are focused on developing local farms that grow flavorful, safe, pesticide-free produce that can be easily traced from farm to fork through a simple and transparent supply chain. As we scale, we are looking for dedicated people who can help us address our global food crisis and fundamentally transform agriculture.
AeroFarms is opening a brand new state-of-the-art facility in Newark, NJ that will be the world’s largest indoor vertical farm for leafy greens and herbs and will serve the NY Metro area. To support substantial interest from national retailers, AeroFarms plans a significant scaling of the business, including facilities in additional cities in the near-term. In addition to North America, the company also has farms under development in other regions of the world.
In this leadership role, you will report to the COO and serve as a member of the management team leading the function responsible for delivering completed, commissioned projects to operations, starting from plans. Projects that have been designed and financed will be delivered to you. You will manage the construction of new facilities. You will be responsible for the installation and commissioning of AeroFarms equipment at new and existing facilities, achieving timeline and budgetary targets, executing multiple projects simultaneously. You will transfer these completed projects to the operations group.
- Work with operations and business development during the project development cycle to properly scope, design and set budgets for projects. Must have experience developing and improving standardized costing models.
- Assume responsibility to deliver completed projects from business development, including managing the construction of new facilities and the installation and commissioning of AeroFarms’ proprietary equipment at facilities.
- Work seamlessly with engineering to optimize the design, functionality, installation costs and operating costs of AeroFarms growing technology. Work collaboratively to achieve continuous improvement.
- Partner with procurement to obtain equipment, labor and other items provided by third parties required for building and commissioning the facilities.
- Represent AeroFarms during the construction of build-to-suit buildings to AeroFarms’ specifications.
- Manage schedules and budgets to achieve completed facilities on time and on budget.
- Work with company resources and outside vendors to complete construction, installation and commissioning activities.
- Create scalable methods and processes to deliver completed projects, provide feedback loops for continuous improvement.
- Continually develop the team of construction personnel, and manage the resources necessary for completion of construction activities.
The hard working, self-motivated candidate will possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree, engineering preferred
- 15+ years of relevant experience executing construction projects in the food or manufacturing sectors.
- 10+ years in a relevant Functional Management/Leadership Role
- Experience managing the build-out of manufacturing or process equipment in industrial-scale facilities, 100K sq ft+.
- Demonstrate experience in managing project and departmental costs, setting and meeting schedules and timelines, and experience in the procurement process.
- Experience developing commissioning plans and equipment validation plans, and delivering results.
- Must effectively manage and grow a team of employees, acquire additional contract resources as needed and/or employ third-party service providers as required to accomplish goals.
- Solid communication skills.
- Ability to interface with third-party facility certifiers including worker safety, food safety and permitting agencies.
- Must be detail oriented and well organized.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook, and Project.
- Ability to travel (approximately 75% time).
- U.S. citizenship preferred.
- Experience directing work of 10 – 50 staff whether through direct employment or contract personnel.
Relevant experience includes food processing facilities, pharmaceutical production and processing facilities, high volume manufacturing using equipment that cost $5M-$50M per installation.
We look forward to hearing from you. Please submit your resume and cover letter to careers@AeroFarms.com or click below.
BACK TO OPEN POSITIONS