AeroFarms is transforming agriculture and redefining the industry’s supply chain. Our state-of-the-art technology uses aeroponics and LEDs to create a totally protected growing environment that is close to the end user, thereby minimizing transportation miles. We grow a variety of baby greens that are harvested at their peak for optimal flavor and nutritional value. Fully traceable from farm to fork, our leafy greens are grown from non-GMO seeds.
AeroFarms recently completed a state-of-the-art facility in Newark, NJ, perfectly poised to serve the NY Metro area. The facility is the world’s largest indoor vertical farm for leafy greens. To support substantial interest from national retailers, AeroFarms also plans a significant scaling of our business, including facilities in other cities and countries in the near future. The company is dedicated to enabling local production at a commercial scale in markets throughout the world.
We’re looking for an experienced and talented senior scientist to provide scientific direction and leadership for our Research & Development Department in our new state-of-the-art facility in Newark, NJ. This position will be responsible for all aspects of research. You will be held accountable for optimizing growth of new plant varieties as well as increasing plant productivity. Furthermore, you will work closely with our Engineering Department to direct next generation grow towers for optimal growing conditions. You will be the corporate senior scientist that will direct R&D in support of AeroFarms’ indoor vertical farms globally.
In this role, you will help provide leadership for a talented team of scientists and will work cross-functionally to ensure success of long-range goals and strategies. You should be an experienced leader with a strong background in high throughput growing, horticulture, plant sciences or plant physiology. The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate expertise in applied science and leadership in data analysis and integration efforts. He/she will be an energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high standards and good judgment. In addition, our organization values individuals who can lead by example and keep focus in a team-centered environment.
- Develops short, mid and long term R&D strategies
- Provides management, scientific leadership and creativity in initiating, designing and executing research
- Monitors research progress and meets with direct reports to receive updates and identify problems and opportunities
- Recruits, develops, mentors and motivates R&D team
- Provides updates to Leadership and internal partners
- Ensures safe work practices and compliance with all Food Safety, HACCP, and Quality Control procedures
- Works with COO to develop and administer annual R&D budget
- Investigates opportunities to partner with academia, foundations, and ag businesses specializing in high throughput indoor growing to drive and develop product differentiators
- Contributes to patent applications and patent strategy development
- Collaborates with engineering and other disciplines to develop future generations of growing equipment
- Remains up-to-date on developments and interests in the indoor ag market
- Provides leadership for technology identification and integration that is applicable to company progress and excellence
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a scientific leadership position preferably in protected agriculture.
- Strong leadership skills with experience managing a mid-size research team.
- Experience working with engineers on prototyping equipment/tools preferred.
- Expertise in high throughput imaging of plants considered a plus.
- Ability to manage change in a fast-paced growth environment with interdependent teams.
Ph.D in Horticulture, Plant Sciences, Plant Physiology or a closely related discipline.
Is this your dream job? Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
BACK TO OPEN POSITIONS